How to create a Dexsql.log file for Microsoft Dynamics GP and Great PlainsJune 23, 2007 at 4:38 pm | Posted in GP Support | Leave a comment
The information in this document applies to:
- Great Plains on Microsoft SQL Server
– Great Plains Standard on MSDE
This article describes how to create a Dexsql.log file for Microsoft Dynamics GP or for Microsoft Business Solutions – Great Plains.
When you receive an error in Great Plains, a Dexsql.log file is a helpful tool that can frequently provide more information to troubleshoot issues. If you can re-create the error, the Dexsql.log file can capture this information.
1. Open the Dex.ini file that exists in your Great Plains application folder in Windows Explorer. Find the following statements in the Dex.ini file:
Note If you use Great Plains 6.0, you must add the SQLLogAllODBCMessages=FALSE line to the Dex.ini file.
2. If the statements are currently set to FALSE, set them to TRUE:
3. Start Great Plains. If you are already in Great Plains, exit, and then restart.
4. Take the steps that are required to re-create the scenario where you received the error message. Stop the steps to re-create just before you receive the error message.
5. Go back into your Great Plains application folder in Windows Explorer. You should now have a file named Dexsql.log. Delete or rename this file. If you do not see the Dexsql.log file, click View, and then click Refresh so you can see the new file.
6. Go back to Great Plains and finish the final steps to re-create the error message.
7. You will now have a new Dexsql.log file in your Great Plains folder.
8. Open the Dex.ini file and set the statements back to FALSE, or change back to the original settings.